Monday 14 September 2015

Media Consumption Audit

Newspapers
  • I very rarely read newspapers, however when I do I usually read the stories that are headlined and bold. I do this because they catch my attention; the most striking headlines intrigue me to read more about the story. I never read the government and politics section of the newspaper as I am not particularly interested in politics. Although it does affect me, I feel as though it doesn't, therefore I never read it. Usually, I read the tragic stories as they are more shocking and thought provoking. To be honest I have never bought a newspaper in my life, normally my dad would buy the newspaper and everyone else in my family would just read it. I much prefer to look through online newspapers on my phone as it is quick and easy. Also, with the app, the headlines of top stories flash onto my screen so I am always up to date with the recent news and am aware of what's going on around the world. 

Magazines
  • Magazines do not particularly interest me as the content is not always as compelling as the front cover. The most intriguing magazines are music ones; such as NME, however I would only ever buy this magazine if there is an interview with an artist I liked. 

Television
  • Weekly, I probably watch about 4 hours of television and I would usually watch it in the evening, after doing all my work. On TV I don't really watch a variety of channels, it's customary for me to just watch Comedy Central, programmes such as; Friends, Impractical Jokers, Two and a half men. Now and then I also watch Coronation Street but that's only when my parents are watching television. I prefer watching comedy shows as it is more entertaining for me. In the evenings, my parents normally just put on what they want as I'm not too fussed when it comes to television programmes. I prefer watching TV series' like Gotham and also on Netflix, Dexter. Watching shows on Netflix provides flexibility as I can pick up from where I left off and also do not need to keep remembering to record the programme. I would usually watch this on the PlayStation or on my phone. The advantages of watching TV on my phone is that I can watch programmes whenever I want and when on the move. 
Radio
  • The only time I listen to the radio is when I am in the car and I hardly ever listen to it. Normally, I like listening to Westside Radio, however the radio hosts are terrible so I usually switch between Kiss too as I like the Kisstory part of the radio. I like to listen to my own music rather than the radio as the music is predominantly mainstream on the radio, something that I do not enjoy. 

Cinema
  • In the last month I have been to the cinema once to watch Sinister 2. Commonly, I watch movies online or on apps like ShowBox. Recently, I have watched Mad Max and Spy. In the cinema, I watched the movie with my friends but at home I usually watch films alone or with my family; we all decide what film to watch and come to a mutual agreement. Typically, I watch films on the PlayStation, using Netflix, or on TV or my phone. 

Online
  • Daily I access the internet. I use the internet at home, at school, when I'm out, pretty much anywhere and everywhere. Regularly, I access the TFL Bus times site, I also always look at music news online; Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q news mostly. I use social media apps such as; WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat. I use these to communicate with friends and for entertainment purposes and the reason why I use these particular sites is because they are interesting as they provide me with the knowledge of my favourite music artists. In addition to this, they would promote their music on every media platform available, therefore belonging to Instagram and Twitter,for example, is informative. Furthermore, I use online shopping sites as it is quicker and easier to search specifically for what I am looking for. The primary device I use to access the internet is my phone and I use the laptop when doing my homework so would use that device to access the internet then. 

Action Plan:
My action plan is to watch a variety of more television programmes and also listen to the radio more often. This would therefore broaden my media consumption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment